A Clerk of Works (CoW) is a construction professional who is responsible for overseeing the quality and workmanship of a construction project on behalf of the client or owner. The role of a Clerk of Works is to ensure that the project is built in accordance with the contract documents, building codes and regulations, and that the work meets the required quality standards.
The specific responsibilities of a Clerk of Works may include:
- Performing regular site inspections to ensure that the work is being performed in accordance with the contract documents, building codes and regulations.
- Monitoring the workmanship and quality of the construction and for identifying and addressing any issues or defects.
- Ensuring that the project is in compliance with all relevant building codes and regulations and that all necessary permits and approvals have been obtained.
- Preparing regular reports on the progress of the work and for identifying any issues or concerns that need to be addressed.
- Coordinating the work of the various trades and subcontractors on the project and for ensuring that the work is being performed in a safe and efficient manner.
- Communicating with the client and project team and for providing guidance and advice as needed.
- Ensuring that the construction site is safe for workers, visitors and the general public.
- Keeping records of the construction process, including inspection reports, testing results and other relevant documentation.
It’s worth noting that the Clerk of Works is independent from the main contractor and they report directly to the client or owner. They are responsible for ensuring that the project is built to the highest standards and that it meets the client’s expectations.